3.21.2008

She cuts her diamonds so they look like a decoy lover.

We just got our next two assignments for Intro to Photography II and I am so excited to start them. Both assignments are based on experimental photography. The first assignment can carry over into our final or we can do a completely different technique. My teacher wants to teach us the importance of technique and the relation to the subject.
I decided to do two different techniques, the first being burned negatives. I'm still not sure of the subject matter I want to use, but the images come out so interesting.


For the second experimental technique I wanted to try distressed photographs by decaying them. It's kind of gross, but the results are amazing. It's done by having micro-organisms eat away your photo. Here is an excerpt from a book I checked out of the library that explains this further.


"To work prints, choose well-washed fiber based materials. Resin-coated papers are protected by their outer coating, which is difficult to penetrate. An east way to create a humid environment for decay micro organisms is to enclose a print with organic material inside a plastic portfolio sleeve. As micro-organisms grow, they will start to physically break down the gelatin and paper fibers, causing damage to the image on the print. Waste products are produced that further enhance the changes, and the micro-organisms themselves will probably cause distinct color changes."


Like I said, it sounds gross, but here is a before and after image.








I think that this is such a different idea for my final project and I can not wait to experiment with it further.



I just stumbled across this blog while researching for my photography final. It's nice to to scroll through and look at the photos. Film is not dead...

1 comment:

Lou Caltabiano said...

This seems really cool. Haha and I thought I might get a bit "artsy" and scratch my negatives. This shit rules. You must do it.